Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Discrimination at Pizza Hut??

Received this via an email being circulated:-
A Shock at Sunway Pyramid Pizza Hut
Hello everyone. I have some interesting news. I was in Pizza Hut (Sunway Pyramid) yesterday and suddenly my friend showed me the bill. The bill contains normal things la (number of person, bill. number and what is ordered). But, what shocked me is that they had space called "RACE". I guess since we were all wearing tudung, they labelled us as 0, which means MALAY. Later, when we went to pay...we had no service charge and no tax charge. Still in shock, I peeped into another bill in the counter. In that bill, under the race space, it was labelled as C (which I guess means Chinese). That bill had service and tax charges!!! I started investigating. One of my Sri Lankan friends was labelled as Indian it seems and she also had to pay service and tax charges a few weeks back. What I'm wondering is that...does anyone know about this? I find it rather strange that they charge service and tax charge using race in Pizza Hut, out of all the places!
Tags: Pizza Hut, Sunway Pyramid, Race, Service Charge, Tax, Religious, Discrimination

5 comments:

Random J said...

*LOL!!* I shouldn't laugh, but you gotta. That is ridiculous. It's a cool (I guess) insight into different cultures and how they view things. Even though it's as ethically incorrect as you can get.

Anonymous said...

Why is it that Malay is label as 'O' and not 'M'?

Unknown said...

Will be alarming if what you shared is true. I thought Pizza Hut is a global chain? Should you write a note to Pizza Hut in Malaysia to clarify?

Such racially prejudiced practises certainly won't endear itself very much to its customers. If it happens in SIngapore, you can be sure that the company will get into hot soup.

Johnny Ong said...

No idea on why 'O' was instead of M. I'm posting it here to gauge people's feedback first if they have experienced the same situation. Have not heard of such discrimination before.

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

This was a very interesting post - I will be spreading the news to get others take on it as well.
Just wanted to let you know, that over at my place, I am participating in a list of "1000 gifts", seeing thanks in everything - that is why my current post was in list fashion! :)

Pattaya International Fireworks Festival

Pattaya is definitely firing up its presence internationally. Covid19 has hit many nations really hard and Pattaya wasn't exempted from ...