Sunday, May 17, 2009

Expired Gas Cylinders?

It was heard that according to a gas cylinder provider in Malaysia, the collar of the gas cylinder has the manufactured year being printed on it. The lifespan of a LPG gas cylinder is 11 years.

Do you know that LPG gas cylinders have expiry dates? Expired LPG cylinders are not safe for use and may cause accidents. In this regard, please be cautious at the time of accepting any LPG cylinder from your vendor.

Here is how we can check on the expiry of LPG cylinders.

On one of three side stems of the cylinder, the expiry date is coded alpha numerically such as A or B or C or D and some two digit number following this, e.g. D-06.

The alphabets stand for quarters:-
1. A for March (first quarter)
2. B for June (second quarter)
3. C for September (third quarter)
4. D for December (fourth quarter).

The digits stand for the year till it is valid. Hence D06 would mean December quarter of 2006. Please return back the cylinder that you get with an expired date. They are prone to leaks and other hazards.

This second example of D-13 allows the cylinder to be in use until December 2013.

My condo is being supplied with piped-in LPG gas and it has been a long long time since the last time I have seen one of this thingy ........

Is this true?

You should read Zach's blog at Life is Full of Experience who has checked on his gas cylinder after reading my blog posting.
Tags: LPG Gas Cylinder, LPG Gas, Hazard

4 comments:

Ice said...

This is very informative. It's like the car batteries too. But I don't think they go by A, B, C for car batteries. I wonder why they need to make things complicated, why not just say Dec 2006 huh? So that everyone knows.

Drunk On Books And Adventure said...

I've read of this somewhere before, but don't know how true it is. i think i'll make it a point to take a look at all the gas cylinder tanks in the next sundry shop I visit.

Johnny Ong said...

ai shiang - yeah, now that u have mentioned it. why make our life harder haha

blackie - yeah, take a look first and then update us

Gabriel said...

I didn't know that... actually, I don't even check such information every time I but LPG. Anyway, good thing I came across your blog. At least I am reminded of its importance. I think you made some good points in this article.

Pattaya International Fireworks Festival

Pattaya is definitely firing up its presence internationally. Covid19 has hit many nations really hard and Pattaya wasn't exempted from ...