Friday, May 22, 2009

Will You Benefit From Drinking Tea?

Tea - always relate it to the 'teh tarik', tea with sweetened milk, a specialty within the indian muslim restaurant or stalls in Malaysia.

My mom will always mumble that I drink too much of such teh tarik as she said the tea leaves used for such tea is the lowest grade of all. Lowest grade? Why do they do buy such a grade? Because it's so much cheaper. This are actually tea dust gathered from tea producing factory, quoted by mom.

True? After hearing that for years, I'm still into teh tarik. When I travel overseas, the Lipton Tea is my travelling companion too. Don't leave home without it ..... hehe. A few cans of sweetened milk will follow along also.

This time round, I bought the Boh Tea. Went shopping last minute owing to last minute work in office on the day of travel and don't have time to travel round to shop for my preferred brand.

When I'm back in Kuala Lumpur, the next day's breakfast will certainly be at a mamak restaurant for my favourite cuppa of teh tarik and roti telur.

Too much of teh tarik?

The American Heart Association did a study where it was found that drinking three cups of tea a day cuts the risk of brain clots by 21 per cent and also will help in reducing blood pressure. How real is this? I'm on the right track at the moment. Already started drinking tea from my teenage life till now ...... should be living past 100 years old for sure.

There's this Tea Advisory Panel who agreed with the findings. Why not? They can't disapprove it hehe else the tea producers will go after their necks.

On the contrary, the American Stroke Association gave a warning where they mentioned that 'excess caffeine intake is believed to contribute to high blood pressure'. Who is telling the truth now? Or whose findings are more reliable and better researched?

Out of nowhere, I bumped into this article where the British Medical Journal mentioned that drinking black tea at temperatures of 70C or higher increased the risk. Am I supposed to bring along a micro termometer when I go for my teh tarik time? Or you just tell the tea maker to reduce the boiling temperature of the hot water?

I find that sipping the tea once it's being served is the best time to taste the tea aroma. After it has cooled down, though easy to gulp down the throat, I find the taste a bit bland already.

Whatever it is, I'll try as many type of tea brands as possible as tea leaves prices are increasing by the day. The black tea is about of US$2.70 per kilogramme nowadays. Why is the price increasing? This is economics lesson ........ drought has hit Kenya and India which caused shortfall in the crop.

Maybe not the teh tarik as it's the lowest grade of tea dust ?!??!!?

Any drop in the production in Kenya - largest grower of tea or in India - world's biggest producer of tea will certainly cause Russians and British, being the world's largest tea consumers, to pay more. Why the Russians and British? The people who's doing those counting should just drop by in Kuala Lumpur (yeah, this city itself will convince you). Walk around those mamak restaurant and you'll be shocked on the number of people drinking tea way past midnight.

Reading: Three daily cups of tea can reduce risk of stroke - Daily Mail
Reading: Steaming hot tea linked to cancer - BBC News/Health
Reading: Tea prices are surging. Is your mug next? - BBC News/Business

Tags: Teh Tarik, Lipton Tea, Boh Tea, American Heart Association, Tea Advisory Panel, American Stroke Association, British Medical Journal, Black Tea, Kenya, India, Tea Dust, Tea Grade

11 comments:

MiChi said...

hmm... I also don't agree to drinking tea, because chinese medicine said tea is "heat-moise" ... means it is hot-moise that will cause your body to get heaty, and same time prevent body absorb water.... one day you are going to get piles ... hahah...

For your info, my uncle die of fatty heart, doctor said it could be he has been drinking teh tarik for tens over years...

Anonymous said...

I believe green tea and various types of Chinese teas are good for health...but never to be substituted for water. Drinking plain water is a must.

Personally, I drink English tea, green tea, jasmine tea etc. I am a tea drinker :)

Borneo Falcon said...

I hardly take any tea

Rosse said...

Tea maybe good for health but too much of it is not good especially for women. :-)

Drunk On Books And Adventure said...

aww....so, am I increasing or decreasing my chances of getting high blood pressure??? I am a low blood pressure "patient"....do I need to be worried, too? :P

Twilight Man said...

LOL. Now that's confusing now coz I am also an addict to teh tarek and hot coffee! Didn't I invite you to yam cha in Taman Desa? I still believe hot green tea is safest and good for health in order to achieve your 100 years.

Imp said...

Ah, kindred spirit. A tea lover like me. If you love teh tarik, you should try Cameron's Bharat tea, which is most suitable for teh tarik.

I agree with you that tea is best drunk when served. I am a bit 'parpai' when it comes to tea. If the tea has gone cold after a while, I won't drink it.

I drink only one cup a day, curi-curi two cups if I need to but not three cups. Don't need to live till a 100, you see. 99 should be more than sufficient!

soulesscloudy said...

I like teh tarik but "kurang manis" hehehe... I like different types of chinese tea like Pu Er.. Japanese Green Tea... hehehe

Johnny Ong said...

michi - wah ... what a shocking news on yr uncle's condition

mei teng - yeah, water in the end is the ultimate liquid most required by our body

borneo - plenty of coffee then?

rosse - oh ... there are pros and cons actually

blackie - oh oh, just watch the intake then, certainly not 3 cups for u

twilight - no coffee for as it may lead to migraine attack. that yam cha session has to be done when i'm really free. travelling too much lately

imp - bharat tea? looks like have to ask those tea maker to use my tea leaves instead hehehehe

i will drink at least 2 cups when in sudan during relaxation time

wanwan - kurang manis is a must. at times they are so good giving so much of sugar or milk

Chemhoster said...

har...I pop cappuccino to keep fresh! But yea, my colleagues take tea, but without sugar, nor bubble as there's no "tarik".

A friend of mine confronted me that he drank teh o ais always as it prevents cancer. I said to him, well it probably does, but the sweet kills you!

Personally I love teh tarik as well...for wanting to celebrate 100th birthday.

Johnny Ong said...

chemhoster - too bad i cant take coffee. i like the coffee aroma, definitely very nice.

i have to be careful with the sweetened milk intake also else diabetes may set in arrrrgggghhh

cheers to 100?

Pattaya International Fireworks Festival

Pattaya is definitely firing up its presence internationally. Covid19 has hit many nations really hard and Pattaya wasn't exempted from ...