Thursday, September 04, 2008

Michael Phelps' Regime Diet

I was very sure that Michael Phelps would break the record for the most number of golds won in one Olympic Games when he won his first event with such a commanding distance. In the end, he did it in style, 8 golds with all in record time (7 world records and 1 Olympic record) at the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics. To be at this stage at a young age of 23 is really something to shout about.

I still remembered those days of mine when I was 20 years old where I took part in my church sports day. At that age, I was at full fitness / strength. I won 6 medals out of 6 events in 5 hours plus. Started off with 1,500m - Silver (defended my 1999 silver title and lost to a different fella ........ sigh), followed by 100m - Bronze (1999 didn't take part) and then the 400m - Gold (1999 defending champ).

The day went on with my High Jump - Silver (defended my silver medal ...... nothing to shout about as I should be winning the gold seeing that the previous year's winner was not around but unfortunately another guy won it who was not there in 1999. The same scenario happened in the 1,500m).

Almost by noon time, we had the 4x100m relay - Gold (1999 defending champ) where I started off as the first runner (by this time my strength was dwindling). My last event was Long Jump - Bronze (unable to defend my 1999 title). I remembered I really did struggle in this long jump event where I shortened my run up. The first jump was totally awful where my thigh was so weak it didn't give the push needed to take off ............. hahaha. The 3rd and final jump was good enough for the bronze medal. The guy who won the gold was placed third in 1999. And I don't think I broke any of the records set in 1999 ....... hehehe

My training for this sports day started off 3 months earlier and it was jogging initially and ended with intensive training towards the big day, a minimum of 1 hour a day. Food wise - nothing in particular as I just whacked anything that my eyes saw. In this sense, it was a lot of food. Only on the morning of the sports day, I took milk and raw eggs and energy bars for the needed carbo.

In the case of Michael Phelps, his training schedule entails work outs for up to 5 hours a day and he swims 80km a week. My my my ........ pale in comparison for my case. To keep up with the energy required for such strict training, he requires 12,000 calories of food per day.

His breakfast - 3 fried egg sandwiches with bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise (don't worry about the side effect of getting fat now); 3 chocolate-chip pancakes (size of a discus); western omelette with fries; 3 slices of french toast with sugar; a bowl of grits and 2 cups of coffee. It requires 45 minutes to finish.

Lunch - 2 ham and chess sandwiches with mayo; a pound (0.45kg) of pasta and energy drinks.

Dinner - a pound of pasta with carbonara sauce, a large pizza and energy drinks.

hmmmmmmm I think I have no problem walloping all the food as listed (if you knew me well enough) but then I will bloat up at the same time without any sporting activities. Even if there are activities, it won't be enough to burn up all those 12,000 calories. Besides the training, I need a sponsor to pay for that amount of food.
Tags: Michael Phelps, Swimming, Olympic Games, Calories, Sports Day, Regime Diet

4 comments:

foongpc said...

I guess those doing heavy intensive training need huge amount of food. If we eat like that, we'll be fat in no time! : )
Btw, I don't quite understand your comments on my blog. Did you reply on the wrong blog? If yes, pls submit a new reply so I can delete the present one. Thx! Pls check it out at http://foongpc.blogspot.com/2008/09/greatest-love-of-all.html

Borneo Falcon said...

Wow! You must be fit back in your 20s

Johnny Ong said...

foong - u are precisely correct there on the food intake

borneo - ahem ....... did what i cld back then

=chuan guan= said...

hahaa...u should take up tat diet tips

Pattaya International Fireworks Festival

Pattaya is definitely firing up its presence internationally. Covid19 has hit many nations really hard and Pattaya wasn't exempted from ...