Monday, October 20, 2008

Theft at Coronade Hotel, KL

Received this via email about a theft that happened while the guests were sleeping in their hotel room.
-------------------------------------
Dear Friends and travel colleques and travel partners,

As you all know I am an experienced traveler and this is my 15th year in the tourism industry. My company has expanded from a travel agent to sea sports, river cruise, rainforest resort. The following incident happened to me personally, not a story I heard from someone. I DON'T want this to happen to anyone else. Please let your friends, colleques, love ones know about it.

I booked into: THE CORONADE HOTEL KUALA LUMPUR, (Achi Jaya Properties Sdn Bhd), Jalan Walter Grenier, 55100 Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA (located next to Lot 10) from 6th Sept to 9th Sept 2008.

We (me and a friend) have stayed in this hotel 2-3 times this year. It is in a good location and the cost is reasonable. I booked for "The Summit Room" as they have free internet and a bigger room.

We were busy right from day 1 as we have a long "to do list". On the 8th Septemper morning, when I came out of the toilet, I saw the latch and the lock switch in the "open position. The door is closed. I was sure I closed the latch and lock the security lock. I ask my friend to check if there's anything missing and there wasn't, so we thought its just us being forgetful. After a busy day from 830am to 10pm, we arrived back to the hotel tired and packed up as we are leaving the next day in the morning. We counted the monies and packed everything accordingly. I personally made sure this time the door is locked on the security lock and the latch. we were so tired and went to sleep. I dozed off around 11pm.

At around 7.00-7.20 am, I woke up and went to the toilet. I remember my phone alarm going off at 730am. Coming out of the toilet, I notice again the latch and the lock in the open position (the door is closed). I immediately ask myfriend to check the bags and found our brunei and Malaysian dollars gone except for 30 plus Malaysian ringgit.

I called the manager on duty immediately and he arrived with a security officer to make a report. The Manager on duty, Raj and the security officer, Harun did not apologise nor was symphtatic. They took my report and looked around and leave. After they leave, I realize, my diamond ring, goldchain and watch which was placed on the table is gone, my mobile phone placed on the table is luckily still there.

I called the manager to make the additional report. They called the police and we found out we had to go to the tourist police station which we went to make the report by Sergeant Shahar. As we had to go get our medical report, we went after we got our report. By the time we came back to the hotel, it was already 1140hrs, we have a flght to catch at 1440hrs.

I expect the hotel to act professionally and to clear this matter up but they didn't not even apologise as our lives and safety was compromised. Someone can enter our room even when we latch it and security lock it!!!!

Imagine if the person had a knife or it's a single woman alone in the room. I am still shocked and thank god no harm came to me and my friend. I overheard the police man asking for the security camera and I AM SHOCKED TO KNOW THERE IS NO CCTV CAMERA ON THE HALLWAY ONLY IN THE LIFT AND STAIRWAYS FOR A 4 STAR HOTEL.

Has the hotel compromise cost at the risk of hotel guest's safety/security. Today is the 11th September 2008, I have no response from The CORONADE hotel and also I tried to call the General Manager and was informed he is on leave from 10th sept for a few days!!!!!

I was not put through to anyone else and the Executive secretary Siti hajah Yusof who answered the phone says I can email to her. I fond this strange as there is the security manager and other top management whom usually will be referred to.

HOW SAFE ARE HOTELS IN MALAYSIA, ESPECIALLY THE CORONADE HOTEL? IF SOMEONE CAN ENTER MY ROOM WHEN IT IS DOUBLE LOCKED, I DO NOT WANT TO STAY IN THAT HOTEL. PLEASE INFORM YOUR FRIENDS, I DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO GO THROUGH WHAT I WENT THROUGH. BE SAFE AND MAKE SURE THE HOTEL YOU STAY IN HAS ADEQUATE SECURITY FACILITIES.

SINCERELY,
ANTHONY CHIENG
MANAGING DIRECTOR OF Sunshine Borneo Tours & Travel Sdn Bhd

--------------------------
All I can say that the thief was very brave indeed to venture into a room with the guests asleep. Surely the thief was armed as the thief could be overpowered with two guys in the room.
Tags: Coronade Hotel, Achi Jaya Properties Sdn Bhd, Anthony Chieng, Sunshine Borneo Tours & Travel Sdn Bhd, Hotel Room Theft

8 comments:

Borneo Falcon said...

I never stayed in Coronade Hotel and probably will not stay there anymore. Probably it is an inside job also

Amilyn said...

ooh director of sunshine borneo tours.. from brunei! yay! something i can relate to! ok this is so redundant.

but yes, that is indeed unfortunate, and how the staff of the hotel handled the situation was not pleasing at all. they should be put in the news for this irresponsibility.

foongpc said...

OMG! This is terrible. I'll make sure I won't stay in that hotel! But how do we know about the security in other hotels?

Johnny Ong said...

borneo - nobody knows. anyone's guess as well

amilyn - unfortunately for the guy

foong - it really depends on how strict is the hotel's procedures in maintaining securities and make sure no breach in any area whatsoever

Drunk On Books And Adventure said...

This reminds me of a chalet i stayed in at terengganu. we were on our way to lake kenyir and decided to stay a night in kuala terengganu.

In the middle of the night, I was woken up by a sound. It sounded like someone was trying to open the door. I thought I must have imagined it and went back to sleep.

Next morning, hubby and I woke up to see our door was opened, and was only secured to the frame by the chain latch. The night before, I had bolted the chain, and the chain was what prevented whoever it was from gaining entry into our room.

Scary. Don't remember the name of the chalet, but the rooms has balconies that open out to the sea.

Johnny Ong said...

as i travel a lot, i have not faced such incidents before. thank God for that

sky wong said...

few month back, myself and few friend intend to book this hotel due to location near to LOT 10 , and we request for a room view first before we decide to stay in or not, the reception arranged 2 rooms for us to view, bell boy bring us to the room for viewing ,when he slot in the key open up the room & we got a shocked !!How can they just picked a room with guest occupied??? Luckily they are away if not we donno what going to happen!!!! such a bad impression for us ,how can the reception just passed the key to bell boy without notify that the room was occupied by guest??? And we decided not to stayed with them after.......

Johnny Ong said...

sky wong - that's bad ethics

Pattaya International Fireworks Festival

Pattaya is definitely firing up its presence internationally. Covid19 has hit many nations really hard and Pattaya wasn't exempted from ...