Ref No: 04/09/01
Embargo: For immediate release
Beware of Fraudulent SMS and Telephone Calls Requesting Confirmation on Credit Card Transactions
Bank Negara Malaysia would like to caution members of the public to be vigilant when receiving any calls or SMS claiming that it is from Bank Negara Malaysia or any commercial banks. The facts are:
- There is no department called "Unit Kad Kredit Palsu" in Bank Negara Malaysia
- 8659-XXXX is not a Bank Negara Malaysia telephone line
- Bank Negara Malaysia will NEVER request for personal banking information through SMS or telephone calls.
From Bank Negara Malaysia 's investigations, the modus operandi of the scam is as follows:
1. Victim receives SMS or telephone call: Requesting victim to confirm a credit card transaction
for the purchase of goods or services purportedly charged to the victim's credit card.
2. When victim calls the telephone number provided in the SMS, the fraudsters identify
themselves as agents of a commercial bank, and again, ask the victim to confirm whether the
credit card transaction had taken place.
3. When victim informs the fraudster that he has no such credit card or transaction, the
fraudster will start to sound concerned and will advise victim to lodge a report with Bank
Negara Malaysia 's "Unit Kad Kredit Palsu", or with the commercial bank's "credit card
management department". The fraudster will provide the victim with the telephone number
for the "Unit Kad Kredit Palsu".
4. When victim calls the telephone number provided, they are greeted by a automated voice
message which identifies the company as Bank Negara Malaysia, and the call will then be
answered by someone claiming to be a Bank Negara Malaysia officer. This officer will request
for information relating to the victim's banking and credit card accounts under the pretense of
lodging a complaint on behalf of the victim.
5. The fraudsters now have sufficient information to illegally transfer funds out of the victim's
Members of the public are reminded not to disclose their personal banking information to any unknown party without verification.
For further information, enquiries or complaints, members of the public may contact or visit:
BNMTELELINK (Customer Contact Centre)
Fax: (03)2174 1515
BNMLINK (Walk-in Customer Service Centre)
Block D, Bank Negara Malaysia
Jalan Dato' Onn
50480 Kuala Lumpur
(Business hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm)
ABMConnect (Hotline to Association of Banks in Malaysia)
Bank Negara Malaysia
7 April 2009
Extracted from Bank Negara Malaysia website.
Tags: Bank Negara Malaysia, Fraudulent SMS, Unit Kad Kredit Palsu, Association of Banks in Malaysia, Confirmation on Credit Card Transactions