Monday, August 06, 2007

Cheated Off in Skywards Miles

My frequent travels to Sudan via the Emirates Airlines was quite good. The plane will normally depart on time (except for those departing from Sudan). Each time I travel, I will get some of those air miles added into my Skywards (a frequent flyer programme) membership points where you could redeem for flight upgrades or free air tickets.

Lately, I do find that Emirates Airlines do not record (whether intentionally or unintentionally) certain flights that I have taken. They would normally want you to send in your air tickets or boarding pass to verify that you actually boarded their airlines. I would say that the airlines should the records as my office would get us a return ticket each time we leave for Sudan and the air tickets would have indicated our departure dates/time from KL-Sudan or Sudan-KL.

When I did submit air tickets plus boarding passes, Emirates Airlines didn't even bother to update my Skywards account and now everything is with them, they can say whatever they want. The Emirates Airlines in Kuala Lumpur told me that my documents would be delivered all the way to Dubai Head Office. They can't process it here.

Weird! How come I can buy tickets here but they can't process my Skywards account here????? Lame excuse! Maybe by claiming that such issues were taken care of by the Dubai Head Office, I have no further recourse once I have submitted. Only way is to travel to their Dubai office to clear it. That also doesn't guarantee it.

I do submit my claim online too but to no avail for those missing flights.

Well, you could that it's only a small issue. True since I didn't pay for the air tickets myself but then it was a promise by Emirates Airlines.

But one thing they have forgotten, it was clear cut (from the online statement of account) that I have travelled to Sudan (13/6/06 & 14/6/06) without coming back to KL and then I was travelling again from KL to Sudan (3/10/06). Where was my trip from Sudan to KL?

Same thing for this statement, I travelled from KL-Sudan on 15/2/06 and return flight was on 26/5/06 (Khartoum-Dubai) & 27/5/06 (Dubai-KL). My DXB-KL was recorded but not KRT-DXB. Now how could I have boarded the flight from Dubai-KL if I didn't take the flight from Khartoum to Dubai. When I send the claim message online to Skywards, they rather keep quiet.

As for this statement, I managed to upgrade my flight from an economy seating to a business class seat for my KL-Sudan trip on 25/10/05. But Skywards didn't record either one of my 2 connecting flights (KL-Dubai & Dubai-Khartoum) at all.

With all these missing miles, Skywards has downgraded me from the Silver tier membership back to the normal membership thus depriving me from using the business class check-in facilities and the business class lounge. In a way, Emirates Airlines could save a bit of money. And lesser miles meant it will take me a longer time to reach certain points to qualify for certain redemption.

They can promote that their airlines are this good and that good and such a small issue was TOO SMALL for them to notice. I was cheated!
Tags: Emirates Airlines, Skywards, Frequent Flyer, Khartoum, Sudan, Kuala Lumpur, KL, Dubai, Cheating

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this BLOG and being a resident of the Middle East, I too use Emirates frequently. I think it is important to keep things in perspective. 95% of the time Emirates Airlines are a dream to fly,great facilities, nice flights & on-air services and above all very good pilots! If however you do experience problems (get dropped from a flight due to it being overbooked, lose luggage, miss connecting flights etc), you will be subjected to a level of condescension and dehumanization roughly comparable to Hitlers SS squads! You will be abused, scorned, called a liar, ignored repeatedly and lied to! Emirates without doubt have the worst ever customer relationship management in the world! If everything goes fine on an Emirates flight you will have an enjoyable experience, if something goes wrong, get the vaseline, assume the position because you will absolutely without one little doubt be royally shafted by the most unprofessional and pompous set of fools on the planet!

Johnny Ong said...

so far i have not encoutered such terrible treatment from emirates. have been pleasant except for a lost luggage once (dubai to khartoum) and a missing name for hotel while in transit. otherwise, did enjoy their flights/services thus far.

Anonymous said...

Skyward WAS a good reward program but now it is completely useless. If you try to book a ticket using your miles the airline will refuse to book you arguing that there a no seats for Skyward members available! But at the same time they sell heavily discounted tickets on the same flight/same day! Skyward is not rewarding its Members but penalizing them. Being a frequent flyer on Emirates, and former Gold Member, I will now look to fly with airlines giving "REAL" rewards to its members and not making booking and traveling with miles a hassle. Sorry Emirates but we have many airline option, for myself and my entire staff!

Johnny Ong said...

normally i'll go straight to their office to claim my rewards e.g. flight upgrade so cldn't tell whether it'll be hard to do via online

Unknown said...

Recently as of 01/01/2010 it has become obvious that the skywards programe is not what it used to be.

All i can say is that it is no more better than the other frequent flyer programes that i belong to. Air NZ and Qantas. Basically they are pretty useless unless your job or hobby is flying on airplanes all the time.

It was good while it lasted.
Farewell to the old Skywards and not so welcome to the new one.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I could not get Skywards to tell me how many air miles I need to upgrade. Like anonymous, I was told no upgrades and, two weeks before flying, offerd upgrades if I paid.
I have now registered all my family on the family bonus programme, 7 of them, Aus., NZ and UK. 3 are flying club class (over £10,000 stirling) which I persuaded them to use Emirates, although Singapore were cheaper, and I have asked for the 25% air miles as advertised to be told that, if my family are claiming them, I cannot also have them. No mention in the blurb.
I say this at the risk of being taken to court for libel, SKYWARDS, VIA EMIRATES, ARE A BLOODY CON FIRM WHO DO NOT DESERVE TO BE IN BUSINESS. THEY BEND THE TRUTH, DISTORT THE FACTS AND ARE A SHODDY BUNCH OF BUSINESS PERSONNEL WHO TREAT THEIR SKYWARDS MEMBERS BADLY BY DECEIVING THEM.
The sooner they go out of business, the better for honest and loyal travellers.
All I can say is that the answer is in our hands. DO NOT USE EMIRATES maybe then, when they are all looking for jobs to finance their power boats and palaces, they will reflect on the loyal Skywards members who were mistreated and have gone elsewhere.
TRY SINGAPORE, MUCH BETTER AND CHEAPER!

Pattaya International Fireworks Festival

Pattaya is definitely firing up its presence internationally. Covid19 has hit many nations really hard and Pattaya wasn't exempted from ...