Saturday, December 16, 2006

World Soccer's Player of the Year

Fabio Cannavaro who skippered Italy to victory at the World Cup, was named World Soccer's World Player of the Year on Friday -- only the second defender to win the honour in the awards' 25-year history. Fabio Cannavaro also won the European Footballer of the Year ("Ballon d'Or") last month. Details of past winners for the Ballon d'Or are found here.

He got three times as many votes as Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o of Cameroon and Frenchman Thierry Henry of Arsenal, who finished second and third respectively.

Other award winners were Marcello Lippi of Italy, who was named coach of the year while European champions Barcelona were named World Team of the Year. Lionel Messi of Barcelona and Argentina was named Young Player of the Year.
Tags: Sports, Football, Fabio Cannavaro, Samuel Eto'o, Thierry Henry, Marcello Lippi, Lionel Messi, World Soccer, Player of the Year

2 comments:

ArmyVet said...

I enjoyed your comments and wish that I could get to see more soccer than just the World Cup here in the United States. Because soccer is not our nations perfered sport, it is not shown on TV except the World Cup. Unless, you are lucky enough to be able to pick it up on cable TV, which I am not.

I look forward to soccer updates from you and I have bookmarked your blog.

ArmyVet said...

I enjoyed your soccer article and look forward to more!! I am a big soccer fan but being in the United States its hard to get any games on television. Soccer isn't the #1 sport here so it's not played on TV much.

I am lucky enough to catch the World Cup games though.

I have bookmarked your blogg and I look forward to soccer updates!!

Pattaya International Fireworks Festival

Pattaya is definitely firing up its presence internationally. Covid19 has hit many nations really hard and Pattaya wasn't exempted from ...